Technician Tales | August 2024

As my final month at UPRC&D quickly went by I still was able to experience a plethora of new things. I still did grass plantings very frequently in the Hiawatha National Forest, but I was also able to participate in constructing fish habitat at Au Train Lake with Alger Conservation district and the Michigan DNR, and I hosted two aquatic invasive species (AIS) outreach events with Three Shores CISMA. Pictured above is me holding our giveaway fishing rods at our Raber Bay AIS event.

At the beginning of the month, our conservation coordinator, Nichole, and I traveled to Au Train Lake to assist in the Alger Conservation Districts “Fish Sticks” project. The project was designed to increase fish habitat in Au Train Lake using brush bundles and “fish sticks.” The brush bundles were exactly what you would expect: a bundle of brush tied together with natural material. With the bundles we would tie cinder blocks to the bundles and travel to specific points around the lake via boat. Once we were over the desired location, we would deploy the bundles overboard and they would sink to the lake bottom creating shelter and cover for fish. We did not participate in the “Fish Stick” portion of the project as that was already completed but we did receive a tour. The “Fish Sticks” were shoreline trees that were cut down into the water and then secured in place. Over the next two years the trees or “sticks” will settle into the lake bed and become natural habitat for fish. Pictured below you can see two different fish sticks.



While Nichole and I were in the area we also decided to revisit our June Pollinator habitat plantings in the West Hiawatha National Forest. We were very pleased with the results of the plantings. It looked as if almost everything had established itself and had a low mortality rate. Below you can see New England Aster and Rough Blazing star.





One of the more independent and hands-on things I did in August was host my own AIS events with Three Shores CISMA at Raber Bay boat launch. There, I was able to have a lot of fun visiting with the Three Shores Crew, interacting with the public and boaters, and being right next to the St. Mary’s river all day. However, that was mostly only on one day. On the other day Three Shores and I got absolutely poured on for hours, easily the most rain I have ever seen come down over a long period of time ever. It was so bad that the parking lot we were staged in flooded us out. Because of the rain and how wet everything was I didn’t get too many pictures but below are some from before the rain came and the next day.



As I prepare to go back to school it’s safe to say that my summer was pretty awesome. Through UPRC&D I have made great connections, experienced new places, built my resume, and worked on so many projects. From Invasive Species removal, to sharp tailed grouse habitat, to fish habitat, to outreach, I have had something new to look forward to each month. I am grateful for my time at UPRC&D and I am looking forward to where my new skills and experiences will be able to take me.


Comments

Popular Posts